Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sew Grateful Reflections Day

I have been blogging for two years now but I still consider myself new to the blogging world and I'm enjoying it immensely. I follow a number of blogs and Facebook pages and every time I look I see something new and pretty. I look forward to coming home at the end of the day and working on a particular project. Or brainstorming for the next which sometimes is more fun! I'm very grateful for my new friends in the online sewing/vintage community. It truly is a wonderful way to connect with new people and share ideas, inspiration, sewing tips, and much more! I love seeing what other people are working on. I never realized just how popular vintage lifestyles were outside the U.S. In particular places like Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. There are a number of lovely ladies out there that find every opportunity to get dressed up! Lots of great inspirational pictures for those of us who want to wear more vintage.

I have had an interest in history and fashion for as long as I can remember. My sisters and I always had a dress up box when we were little. We would go to yard sales and church rummage sales and pick up all kinds of "old lady clothes". I guess I've never grown out of the playing dress up phase. My mom is an avid quilter and taught me how to sew. She made a lot of Halloween costumes and prom dresses for us.


My obsession with collecting, wearing, and sewing vintage clothing is more recent then my historical sewing endeavors. Even as a little kid I loved watching old Hollywood movies for the costumes. But now, seeing an outfit in a movie or vintage magazine and having the skills to recreate it - or something very similar - is a real thrill. With historical clothing you are often left with some questions about construction. I get a real kick out of using a vintage pattern and being able to say “yes, this is exactly how it was made!”
Part of why I enjoy wearing vintage is because items are made better and fit better then most modern clothing. Normally I’m a little self conscious about my appearance but I feel good about myself in a pair of high waist pants or a well-made pencil skirt. I can walk around all day in a pair of 3 inch heels from the 1940s and be fine at the end of the day. Try that with most modern heels and my feet are killing me before the day is half over. Do I want to dress in vintage everyday? No, but I do want to work more of it into my lifestyle. Part of my reason for starting a blog was because I needed some change in my life. Reaching out to the online sewing/vintage community has helped me in a big way.

Engagement Photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...